Dear Friends,
Thomas L. Pangle, I see, is on the U of Houston campus today and tomorrow, giving a lecture named "Debating the American Founding". The lecture is Tuesday, Feb.10, 2009 at 5pm, at the Honors College.
I cannot ignore this coincidence. I am trying to get this very blog started, in which I am trying to get people to consider whether the 1776 decision was a "Christian decision", and now comes a man who is opening up discussion on a related subject . Since I am wanting to get the word out about this blog and my ideas, I thought about giving out cards at this event or asking questions from my perspective to the speaker, Dr. Pangle, if questioning is offered.
I don't know if I will be able to go. However I hope to communicate with the man. I read (Wiki) that he admired the work/thoughts of Leo Strauss. I read (Wiki) about Strauss and his thoughts. I read (Wiki) about Paul Tillich, whom Strauss, who grew up as a jew, at one point had wanted to study with. (That did not work out. I wonder why. It makes me wonder if Strauss wanted to see if Tillich could convince him of Christianity's verity.)
Your Friend and fellow wonderer, Joan Mazzu
MISSING YOU
10 years ago
I did e-mail Dr. Pangle. And He e-mailed me back. Wow. He said his area of study was the formulating of a democratic government, and dealt with the events after the American Revolution. That was nice of him to respond.
ReplyDelete